UQ Professor receives IEEE Fellowship

8 Jan 2019

A professor from The University of Queensland’s School of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering has been named a 2019 Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).

Professor Tapan Saha was the only person in Queensland to receive the IEEE Fellowship, which recognised his contribution to the monitoring and assessment of power transformers.

“I was delighted to see the highest recognition of my research impact and industry contribution from the largest and most prestigious professional organisation in my area of research,” he said.

Professor Saha has been a Professor of Electrical Engineering since 2005 and has published more than 500 papers in journals and peer reviewed conferences.

“I have been very fortunate to work with many bright minds including my current and past HDR students and more than 20 Post-Doctoral fellows.

“In reality, this achievement has only been possible due to their combined contributions in my academic career.”

Professor Saha is recognised as an international expert in condition monitoring of transformers and is well known internationally by practicing utility engineers, manufacturers and in academia.

In recent years, he has further diversified his research into the challenges of solar PV integration to electricity grids.

“UQ has provided me an outstanding teaching and research environment and support, where I have been able to build the largest and strongest power and energy systems research group in the country,” he said.

“As a Fellow, I hope to continue providing excellent teaching and research in electrical engineering, in particular tackle the challenging issues of renewable energy integration to the electricity grid and ageing assets.”

The IEEE is the world’s leading professional association for advancing technology for humanity.  

Through its 400,000 plus members in 160 countries, the association is a leading authority on a wide variety of areas ranging from aerospace systems, computers and telecommunications to biomedical engineering, electric power and consumer electronics